View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
Old Henry

Default Re: Sorry, I just had to share . . . again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
Henry, great trip as usual. Thank you. What is the road that R & T talked about. Is that Rt 12. Did you get to Cedar Breaks while you were up Bryce way ? To me that was even more spectacular then Bryce.
The stretch that Road and Track magazine called one of the 7 most scenic drives in the country is the 125 mile stretch of Rt. 12 from its junction with Hwy 89 on the west end to its junction with Hwy 24 at Torrey on the North/East end. I just noticed that, on the map below, that road is designated as an "All American Road" * (http://www.utah.com/byways/highway_12.htm). Cedar Breaks National Monument is west of all of that on Hwy 14 from its junction with Hwy 89 and Long Valley Junction on the east end to Cedar City on the west end. All can be seen on the map below. We left Rt. 12 at Boulder and took the road marked in yellow through Grand Staircase Escalante Naional Monument and Capitol Reef National Park. The map also shows Milford at the far left where we stayed the first night and began our journey the next day down to Minersville, Beaver, then over the mountain on Rt. 20 to Panguitch then on to Rt. 12.

* From Wikipedia: Of those U.S. highways designated a "National Scenic Byway" the most scenic byways are designated All-American Roads, which must meet two out six intrinsic qualities. The designation means they have features that do not exist elsewhere in the United States and are unique and important enough to be tourist destinations unto themselves. As of November 2010, there are 120 National Scenic Byways and 31 All-American Roads, located in 46 states.

Here's a list of All American Roads if you want to drive one in your area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...American_Roads

And a map showing where they are:

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-20-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote