View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #35
B-O-B

Default Re: Flathead highway speeds

You want to read about brakes in a situation look up rumbleseats post about his bad summer.
No one mentioned what tire combo they are running !
I ran the 34 5W with 4:11s down the interstate in the slo lane & kept up with traffic but that flatty was a hummin. Made a 50 mile one way trip to Caldwell Idaho & interstate speed limit is 75. I also had 16" wire wheels. The tires were old but had tubes so I wasn't too concerned. I do have a lap belt & wear it. Worst part was I was going to get fuel on the return trip but ran out before I got there gauge doesn't work. Not a fun way to spend a saturday afternoon on the interstate. Had to walk a couple miles to a wally world store for a can & fuel & walk back. Stupid me ran the battery down trying to prime it to start it. I only bought the small gas can(1gal) & the car was on the shoulder & listing to the passinger side & there wasn't enough gas to reach the pickup tube. When it coughed the first time I pulled the choke out to try to make it to an exit but only made it about half way so the carb was bone dry & with the car on the fairly steep shoulder the elec pump couldn't pickup the 1 gal of fuel. Lucky help finally arrived in a mercedes with a young beautiful blonde driving (NO KIDDING). Only problem was her husband was also along. She insisted on helping this old geezer & they made a couple of trips to get me fuel & a battery. I insisted on filling the mercedes (which ran on premium) & later that week I took them a couple bottles of wine. I didn't mind the expense cause it would have been cheaper than a tow job & no way was I going to leave that car parked along the side off I-84. I now carry extra fuel & jumper battery when taking that car . NOPE don't have a cell phone & don't want one.
Hope you all didn't mind my long winded hi-jack of this post.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote