View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #17
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: 1930 Model A PIckup rear end questio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleybill View Post
So basically i should take it apart and determine if it is in working order with nothing broke? Or is there a method i can verify by rotating the rear wheel by hand and engaging it? (up on blocks with bed and cab off)
I would advise not to take it apart if it works. To test it: remove the vacuum chamber. Looking inside the axle, you will see a slot into which the lever from the vacuum chamber fits. Jack up one wheel, place the trans in neutral and have a friend rotate the wheel while you slide the slotted part with a screw driver or drift . When it engages ( or disengages depending on where you start) your friend will feel a change in the drag on the wheel and you will hear it clunk into or out of gear. On an open drive line you would notice a change in the speed ratio between the wheel and drive shaft. Odds are its good inside the axle. The vacuum chamber diaphragm gets old and brittle, and failures there can happen. Its a simple rebuild, BTW. To test the vacuum chamber, see if the shaft pulls out and pushes in with some resistance, and you can hear air rusing in or out of the fittings. If that passes, put your thumb over the hose fitting on the end of the chamber, and pull the shaft out...you should feel suction. If you do, connect the chamber to a vacuum source and see if the shaft retracts on one side and expands when vacuum is applied to the other fitting.. If it works smoothly and without any vacuum leak noise once at the end of its stroke, you are good to go. Inspect the hoses for cracks. They can be cracked and should be replaced when they are.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote