View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #38
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Touring with a Model A ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I dont understand the neglect to admit the model a breaks down. It is a reliable car, but shit happens. If you show up at a national meet, cars that were driven to the meet all have some spare parts. The majority of the cars that were driven far distances (ex. cali to texas) will be loaded down with parts. I dont leave the dfw metroplex without my full toolbox and spare parts, because i dont want to be stuck somewhere, or if i can just throw on my spare instead of figuring out the short in a distributor on the side of the road, then im going to put in my spare. Ive said this many times before my car is loaded down with parts when i go to regional/national tours. In fact i really try not to unpack my car, in between tours so i'm loaded up the majority of the time.

In my trunk on the trunk rack, i carry a tool box loaded with short and deep sockets, extensions, several different sizes of screwdrivers, dikes, different types of pliers, 1/2 drive ratchet with socket to fit the crank pully nut, and many other misc tools, small parts. I also carry in my trunk a rubber mallet, starter, alternator, zenith carb (for others, i have a weber on my car) cotter pins, 2 jugs of water, and a fan... yes if fit all this in my trunk. in the rumble seat compartment i carry my luggage, and a box full of misc parts such as tubes, distributors, fan belts, hydraulic brake fluid, coils, and some other stuff i cant think of off the top of my head. Under my seat is a full engine gasket set, torque wrench, spare ignition parts, some trouble shooting manuals, timing gear, timing gear wrench, and a few other things. My brothers car is set up almost the same way, except he carries less tools, and more stuff like water, towls, majority of luggage, coolers, points, condensers, carbs, distributors, water pump, fan, and a jack. We are prepared for whatever might go wrong, where ever we go. That makes more sense to me than to not have something you may need in the middle of no where.

My old boss Ross Lilleker has driven his model T's all over, including from texas to alaska. He had a crank snap on him one time on a tour, and they were stuck. So before him and a buddy left to go on the next big tour in his buddy's car he threw a crank in the back seat with them, and guess what that crank snapped too and they put in his spare crank in a garage and were on the road the next day. Hes replaced pinion gears on the side of the road in a ditch, and theres many other stories. The fact of the matter is, he was able to continue on all the tours, because he was prepared and no one wants to have to be towed home or wait on a wrecker in the middle of the boonies in the summer heat.

I Know what i carry in my cars is a little bit of an overkill for most people. My brother even gets mad that i over pack, but our family has had A's and been touring in them since the 40's so we were always taught to be prepared for the un expected. You dont have to have what i pack in my car to be able to take long distance tours, but i do feel better knowing its there if i need it. Back when i had stock everything power train wise, except for overdrive, i still could keep up with everyone climbing hills and going down the road just fine.
Jordan, I think you are comparing totally two different cars, ...and two different items regarding tools vs. spares. No one is saying they don't break down nor that you shouldn't carry tools but re-evaluate what is being said by others, then you.

First off, a Model-T is much more primitive in engineering and manufacturing than what an 'A' is. They are going to break with more frequency however there is probably as many if not more long distance touring done with the T's than A's.

Second, Ross is a very wise individual when it comes to things mechanical but based on the stories you tell, I refer you back to my first point. These deal with a much more primitive vehicle.

Now when I look over your list, I cannot help but question "why" on some things. I am relisting them taken from your text above:

a rubber mallet, For doing what? Why not a regular hammer and be done?
starter, Rebuild the one on the vehicle properly and then carry a crank!
alternator, Again, a generator is easy to work on and reliable when properly rebuilt.
zenith carb (for others, i have a weber on my car) Why? What breaks on a carburetor that cannot be repaired on the side of the road??
cotter pins, OK but a length of safety wire serves multiple uses.
2 jugs of water, Again, WHY?? Repair/restore the car properly and there is not a need to carry water.
a fan REALLY? Why is a fan even needed?
tubes A good spare tire can usually get you to the next town where there is a tire repair shop that can fix the flat tire.
distributors I realize WHY is becoming a redundant word but why does someone need to carry multiple extra distributers? Restore the one in the vehicle and use it for 25,000 miles!!
fan belts A fan belt should not have any tension. If the one on the vehicle is become aged, replace it and be done with it. No need to carry multiple belts either in my view!
hydraulic brake fluid Surely you didn't just say that!!
coils I have never known a coil just to quit totally. They will generally work long enough to get you to town to find a replacement, -which when you replace it you will likely find that wasn't the culprit anyway.
other stuff i cant think of off the top of my head.
a full engine gasket set, I have never known a copper head gasket that could not be re-used, and a small tube of silicone or Permatex can be used when the original gasket cannot be reused as-is.
torque wrench, Hummmm.... Is this really necessary?
spare ignition parts, I thought you already had several distributors??
trouble shooting manuals ?????
timing gear I recommend if someone is planning on touring many miles, just use an aluminum and be done with it. For the price of the one on the engine and the spare one, it is cheaper to purchase the aluminum one.
timing gear wrench See above, but in a pinch, a punch & hammer will suffice adequately.
a few other things. wow.........

Jordan, I can honestly see how your brother would be frustrated wih you carry all those items. Like Tom mentioned above, what are you going to do if a radiator seam starts leaking? What would you do if the ammeter blows? What would you do if the gas tank starts leaking? Playing what-ifs and trying to prepare for each and every possibility is just a crutch in my opinion. Being able to make due with what you have at that time is what makes a great mechanic. IMO you have the ability to be a great mechanic, ....leave all that "excess baggage" at home and prove it to yourself.

BTW, I actually have toured quite a bit with Ross & Jennifer, Michael McDonald (and Rachel), the Cordes boyz, etal. Just was with them in Rutland Vermont a month or so ago.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote