View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #33
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Touring with a Model A ?

Vince actually has those Rainmaker Ron stories hosted HERE. Click on the Sleeping Beauty link for some inspiration on touring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryjohn View Post
There is a list of suggested spares to carry on a cruise that list about 80 items total. My pal adds to that list when he goes cruising jumper cables. It does seem excessive for everybody to carry generators, water pumps, starters and such but it would be nice to have one if needed on tour. Wouldn't it be relatively easy to assign parts for a trip to different club members if we are all driving Model A's. "Bob's got a starter and Joe has points." I can see it wouldn't work if you had other cars in the mix but it seem a natural for a Model A cruise. At a minimum you could identify a car with all the parts and the rest could comfortably leave the extra crap at home.
I think the whole point is be resourceful in just repairing what you have. If a starter goes bad, use the crank! A Model-A engine will run a long time on just the battery (w/o a generator!). There is no ned for a spare carburetor. Properly rebuild the one on the car and then make any repair to that one if something should happen while driving. How bad do points need to be before you need an extra set? Dress the ones you have installed and they are good for another 1,000 miles or so. My point was/is in this is know your car, ...and know how to use your head & hands to make a simple repair to get you going again.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 09-07-2012 at 09:29 AM.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote