View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #22
modeleh

Default Re: Touring with a Model A ?

As the years go on, it is harder and harder to maintain a simple lifestyle with simple things. Many of us now have daily drivers that have EFI and computer controlled and sensored everything and not even the dealer mechanics can figure them out. Even a new clothes washer has a digital control and PC board inside. When these things give us trouble, sometimes it makes you wish for the old stuff you can still fix.
That being said, I think with today's technology it is easier to travel "worry free" long distances in an old car than ever before.
There was a guy on the Hamb forum who threw caution to the wind and flew across the country to buy an old Suburban and drove it home. He had a cell phone with a data plan, and he posted pictures of his trip to a thread like this one, from the side of the road. He had all kinds of problems, and for about a week, he posted which town he was broken down in and what his issues were, sometimes he would get advice over the internet, sometimes someone would get out of their computer chair and go help the guy.
I thought it was great to follow along with this guys trip, even though I was too far away to be of any physical help to him.
If you take your A on a long trip, you have a huge resource here with the members of the Fordbarn, and if you have troubles, I'm sure there will be help close by. Sometimes the technology we have at our disposal today is really great.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)