View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: '31 Murray Body Number Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bick in New Zealand View Post
I can understand where you are coming from on this, but what this does not explain, is why there are Roberston screws holding the bodywood together that then has the metalwork nailed over the frame. This could only have been done before the body was assembled. Here in New Zealand the only Canadian bodies I have come across that don't contain Robertson screws are cabriolets. They also have the US style Briggs Body plate / numbers on the firewall.
The 60-A leather back, 180-A Deluxe Phaeton, and 68-A,B,& C Cabriolets were the only Briggs bodies sold in Canada so Briggs had a fairly small presence there. Murray by contrast produced many models (mostly closed bodies) for Canadian production.

I've never seen either a Victoria or straight windshield Fordor from Canada or I'd be able to outline even the most subtle differences. If these models had Robertson screws in the body construction there are only two possible explanations I can see. First would be a Murray plant in Canada beginning in 1931. Unfortunately I haven't found anything else to support this and I've tried for a few years now. Second would be that due to the volume of Murray bodies coming into Canada there may have been a requirement for "domestic content" where Murray would use things such as trim fabrics, seat springs, screws, etc., manufactured in Canada.
There certainly could be another scenario but I can't see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
That may be so, but how do we explain the Canadian specific fordor body #s & the information on Ford Australia of their body building in the Model A era. My Father had three of these Canadian fordor sedans & I have owned another. I have looked at many over the years. Have you been able to examine many Canadian sedans ?
Numbers stamped in the wood could be done anywhere at any time. This is likely an issue of record keeping somewhat like the stampings found on many steel bodies in the USA as well as those exported from here.

Ford Australia was definitely a unique situation all it's own. The Australian Town Sedan shown here a few months back was VERY enlightening. It is somewhat a facsimile of a Murray body but a little different in essentially every respect. With the possible exception of the cowl there is not another piece interchangeable with a Murray body.