View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Driving in the winter

In the winter of 93 our local regional group took a tour down to Andersonville, GA on an absolutely gorgeous day. We visited the prison museum and toured around that part of the state, and stayed in the beautifully renovated hotel there. We planned to stay till Sunday afternoon to return.

Well, as the weather is wont to do in Georgia, in the winter. on Friday night the "Blizzard of 93" hit the city of Atlanta and several miles south. It hit Andersonville, but not as bad.

Sunday morning the snow had pretty much melted in Andersonville, so we headed north to Atlanta and home. As we got further north the snow got deeper and deeper. Here we are, a bunch of old flatheads, coming up the expressway in the driving snow, all 8 inches of it. Folks were really staring at us with puzzled looks on their faces, wondering why we had those beautiful cars out on such a day as that.

We all made it home safe and sound, but snow and ice all over the cars. Quite an experience I must admit.

I submitted a picture to the V8 Times, showing how ice cycles had formed a beautiful starburst pattern all around the outside edge of the L F hubcap on my 39 Mercury coupe. I have not scanned it so can't post it here.

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 11-18-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: To correct spelling
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote