View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #28
Vics Stuff

Default Re: Yes,they are still out there:

I had a friend who had a 36 5 window coupe. His wife was always going garage sale shopping. he kept this 36 in the garage. As time passes , the wife with all her garage sale purchases started pilling her stuff on the car. SO I spoke to my friend now 88 and told him that I have space in my large shop for his car and he could store it here for free. Later he was not able to drive and I told him that when ever he wanted to go for a drive just let me know and I would get it out and we could take it for a spin.2 years later he and his wife end up in a assisted living home and the car was still in my shop. At that time I made it a point to every week go buy and visit my 2 friends. 2 years later my friend passes away @ 92 years old. The car still sat in my shop with no storage fees. 2 years later my friends kids tell me that they are looking at selling the car to help in paying costs for their mothers care. I had entertained a cash offer on the car but the kids decided that they wanted to maximize the sale of their fathers car.
So I told the kids that from that day on they will be expected to start paying going rate for storage. I felt bad that I had to do this but had thought that they would sell the car to someone else and I would have stored their fathers car in side my heated shop for free for over 6 years . I really would have liked to have my friends car and thought that the kids would see that . But when time came , the kids got $2000.00 more for the car than I had offered but by time the car sold they had paid me over $2,000.00 for storage. With this , it was a bitter sweet ending because if I had ended up with his car , this car would always be noted as his car and I would have spent over $12,000.00 to fix the car up back to the condition it was when my friend built it 30 years ago.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote