Thread: speedo lube
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Earle

Default Re: speedo lube

I have a '31 roadster. I may just be imagining things, but I believe (hope?) my speedometer cable is getting lubricated from my periodically pumping grease into the universal joint housing. I remove one of the speedo cap bolts and pump the grease in until it starts coming out of the bolt hole and give it a few more good, fast pumps. I would think that the churning action of the universal and the softening/liquifying of some of the grease on a hot day, long drive, works some grease into the cable. The spinning action of the cable in its sleeve then distributes the grease on up the cable assembly.

I do know that after a universal lube job and a few miles of driving I see excess grease oozing out around the cable attachment nut at the universal housing and through the cable sleeve a little distance up the cable. The grease is definitely getting into the cable.

All I know is that in the 25 years I've owned and driven the car I've never had any speedo cable noise or other speedometer functional issues.

for what it's worth...

Earle
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)