Thread: Thermostats ?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #17
Old Henry

Default Re: Thermostats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
OK, got the thermostats from Federated Auto Parts with a part # 419-180 made in Israel. Problem now to seal. Tightened clamps quite well and added liquid back and leaked like crazy. Was hoping it would seal around the little wires without gasket shellac or some thing that would be a "bear" to pull apart later on if needed. What all you guys using ?
I wonder what kind of hose clamps you are using. The old stock style don't squeeze hard enough. I have to put modern screw type clamps on and squeeze them down as hard as they'll go 'till the leaking stops. Then put a stock one above or below it (wherever it will fit), tighten it down, then I can remove the modern style if I really want the authentic look. If looks don't matter, use a modern style clamp. I even had to get an industrial grade hose clamp that uses a nut and bolt to tighten to get my lower radiator hose to seal.

Also, if you're using the wires as I illustrated, they have to be a very thin strand pulled from a piece of small gauge stranded wire for the hose to seal around them.

Last edited by Old Henry; 04-25-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote