View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: distributor shafts Q....

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I know that J.C. Whitney and Warshawsky offered them. They also offered a finned aluminum head that looked like a Thomas, it required a longer distributor shaft. They didn't offer a longer dist. shaft to use with that head and thats why I never bought one. If I had thought enough about it, I could have made one from an old one piece dist. shaft.. The old repro one piece distributor shafts were a bad idea in my opinion because it didn't have the U joint effect. I've found old distributors with the one piece shaft and most of the housings were cracked all the way around just where they leave the head. I had one break on a 30 town sedan that I had in the early sixties. I first noticed fluctuation in the idle, it would idle for a few seconds with a retarded cackle and them it would smooth out like the spark was advancing. I looked under the hood and the distributor housing and cap were slightly Jiggleing on the head as it sit idleing. I found the distributor housing was cracked. I built up another distributor with a two piece shaft. I have avoided useing the long one piece shafts since.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote