View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 04:32 AM   #79
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: What stops the fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in BC View Post
Hi Carter

In engineering, electronics or physics if we are talking about electron flow or electron current it must explicitly be stated. If we are talking about current then Ampere's definition is implied and current flows from positive to negative.

Jeff
I wrote this 8 months ago might help (might not).

I understand the confusion I really do. Schematics drawings and symbols are drawn pos to neg but the actual electrons move neg to pos.

Ever gone to the carnival? Have you seen the chasing lights on the rides? If you look at the lit bulbs the light appears to go one way but if you look at the bulbs that are out they appear to move the other way.

Electricity is the same way. Are you following the electrons or the holes they leave behind.

I have always read drawings and figures out paths pos to neg. While technically wrong the bottom line is that it works either way.

Lets say you follow a wire from the neg side and "bump" into a bulb. The side you "bumped" into is the neg side the other side of the bulb is the positive side. Following the wire to another bulb that side is neg and the other side is pos and so on, neg, pos, neg, pos.