View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Antifreeze Leak Help!

I agree with Tom and H.L. But I would try this first because the other choices are pretty involved. Drain the coolant below the level of the water pump first, you can pour it back in after this process. Back the packing nut all the way off the threads of the rear bushing and slide the packing nut foward on the shaft. Grease the rear grease fitting untill grease starts coming out around the shaft where it protrudes from the threaded rear bushing. Put some water pump grease in the packing nut with your finger and start the packing nut back on the threaded rear bushing but not tight. Pour the coolant back in the radiator and tighten the packing nut just enough to stop the leak. Don't tighten the packing nut too tight or you will spin the threaded rear bushing and ruin the pump. Just use common sense when tightening the packing nut. If it doesn't stop leaking, you may have to install more packing or rebuild or replace the pump if its cracked. I've used this method on my 29 tudor with good results. Antifreeze leaks in places that plain water doesn't. It usually doesn't get that cold where I live and I just use tap water and water pump lubricant. A small bottle of Gunk water pump lubricant added to the radiator will stop rust in the water jacket and the engine will run cooler with water than antifreeze.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote