View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #18
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Advice to change 6 volt to 12 volt Model A

Kevin in NJ , I agree that there are some Good halogen bulbs that will work with the model A generator. I have a set of these bulbs in my roadster that I run 12 volts with the original generator. These bulbs are much better than the old 50 candle power bulbs but don't come close to the quartz halogen bulbs, I have No illusion, its just common sense.

It doesn't really matter if the alternator or generator actually charges 60 amps. If the modern bearing and sleeve are used on the water pump the belt CAN be tightened as necessary. I have run a 60 amp alternator with quartz halogen bulbs in my 31 coupe for over 15 years with No problems and the lights are as bright as modern cars. Many cars run 60 and even 100 amp alternators and they never have to charge maximum charge rate. The alternator will only charge enough to meet the demand. The quartz halogen bulbs actually don't draw 60 amps. Have you ever heard of reserve power? That I believe is why some want a 60 alternator. With a few MODS the model A generator can be brought up to 60 amp capability.

Why waste your time trying to tell other people how they should run their model A . People will pretty much do as they please. If you are such an expert on all things concerning model A's why don't you go ahead and finish your model A.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote