View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
Brian

Default Amusing things that happen in our old Fords

Thought I'd start a thread where people can relate amusing events they've had in their old Fords...

I've owned my 35 for a long time, and had some amusing incidents in it along the way. This is one example, but it wasn't too funny at the time....

A few years back I was driving the old 35 from Wellington up to Auckland and vowed that I'd pick up any hitchikers along the way to give them a bit of the old flattie experience. Anyway, about 1 1/2 hours into the trip I spy this guy with his thumb out so pull up along side. The conversation went sort of like this-
me "Where're goin?"
-I'm going to Auckland
me "jump in"
-I wanna go to Auckland
me "I'm going to Auckland, jump in"
-But I wanna go to Auckland
me" I'm going to Auckland, get in"
-Where are you going?
me- I'm going to Auckland, do you wanna ride or what?, get in

Can you see where this is going? Pity I'm a slow learner, I perseveered and finally got this nerd in my car. And man, did he stink!! I think he'd been on the road for a coupla weeks and hadn't seen a bar of soap in that time!! Anyway,every coupla miles he'd ask "How long till we get there?' or "what's the next town we're coming to?", or "What's the last town we went through?" or "How long till we get there?' or ...I think you get the message by now. This guy was obviously a coupla sandwiches short of a picnic!!

His constant verbal drival was driving me nuts!! And still I put up with him! [Like I said, I'm a slow learner]. At one stage further along, I picked up another hitcher, mainly to give me some respite, the idiot gabbled on non-stop to someone new, unfortunately, the 2nd guy got out shortly after! Then the nerd wanted to drive my car. by this stage we were on the desert road, a high volcanic plateau located in the center of the North Island, so, being the slow learner I am I pulled over and swapped seats. This clown thrashed my car, drove it foot flat to the floor, yelling out "yeehaa- I'm driving a V8, yeehaa, I'm driving a V8" repeatedly. Well after a few miles of this abuse my old car spewed a vast quantity of coolant out the radiator; this signalled the end of his driving, I was starting to get a bit more abusive in my communication with him. I resumed the driving, and limped along until I came to a stream so I could top up the radiator. Mt Ruapehu, an active volcano up on this plateau was going through an active period at this time, the water running in that watercourse reeked of sulphur, great for ally heads of course, but it's all I could get!

Hours later we're getting close to Auckland, and the nerd asks if I'll take him further to Kaitaia, which is another 5 hours north of Auckland. Of course I told him no way, I'd drop him off at a bus terminus. Then he asks me 'Why don't you put a Chev in this?" "What for?" I reply." More power!" is his answer.
Listen here you f******** i*******, this is a FORD V8, it's got you all the way up from Palmy in style and comfort, don't you dare use that 4 letter word in this car or I'll kick your f******* ass right outta here, you f*******!
Shortly after I took an offramp and drove to a bus terminus. "What are we stopping here for?" he asked. I pointed to the bus terminus and said "bus". The nerd leapt out the door, slammed it shut behind himself and disappeared into the night. No thank you, no nothing! Whew!!