View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #89
biggeorge

Default Re: Bob Drake - why overseas?

Very well said!!!

If we really try to buy American made products Manufactures will have to take notice. American workers built this country, not the bankers that only care about the bottom line and are selling our country out from under us.China owns a lot of property here . I,m sorry Mr drake can only find manufactures for his parts in China. It's to bad that we as a people take the easiest and cheapest way out( Not a shot at Mr Drake).

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Man View Post
I personally buy American made products and support companies that make their products in the USA even if I do not need what they sell. I make it a point to tell others about products made in the USA. I have heard many times that it is hard to find things made in the USA but I think sometimes people just do not look. I have found many quality USA made products just by walking around a store. Many times these USA made products are the same price or even cheaper than the foreign made products sitting next to it on the shelf.

I work for one of the Big 3 and thanks to the decline of the American auto industry I have had to move 3 times (at my 4th plant now) to keep my job. Sadly many of the parts put into cars are a combination of USA and foreign parts, even the foreign brand vehicles assembled in the USA fall into this category. Here is the important thing to remember, American based companies pay taxes on their profits to the USA (GM, Ford Chrysler). Foreign based companies pay taxes to what ever country they are based out of (Toyota and Honda = Japan, VW = Germany, Kia and Hyundai = Korea). So even when you purchase a foreign nameplate car assembled in the USA you are still sending your money to another country. When you buy from the big 3 your money stays here. Also, no matter what car you have you have the potential to have issues with parts. it does not matter what company it comes from. One example is all of the recalls that were issued last year. Sometimes you can just get bad batches of parts that can be caused by human error or even the machine that replaced that person's two coworkers.

Mr. Drake mentioned that he has to have the running boards that are vulcanized (?) made in China as nobody in the use has the machines to do it (if i read it right). Why is it that the Chinese company was able to get their hands on this machine? They either had to buy it from a company that had one or they made it. the old machinery is out there. I have seen pictures of the press that Brookville uses to make parts, it is the most ancient presses I have ever seen but obviously someone out there had one to sell since Brookville was able to get it. There are tons of old factories out there with nobody in them full of machinery that could be making products or adapted to make similar products.

As a whole we need to bring manufacturing back to the USA. There are many products that can be made here affordably but profits are more important. In a neighboring town with a population of less than 5,000 there are 2 factories that have closed with another one on it's way out within 6 months. The one that will be closing is due to it's operations being consolidated with another facility. Most of the people will be general laborers but some of them will be skilled craftsmen that could make anything you would want if given the chance and the right equipment. This is why I find it hard to believe when someone says that they can not find anyone in the USA to make a item. It sounds more like an excuse.