View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #23
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: The Flathead oil modification thread...

"By chance does the manual show the size of the lines to and from the filter? I thought I had read that the canister type filter would not handle a full flow system. Also it is interesting to note that the passage way between the two openings in the block is not blocked off, as is the modern-day full flow system....or is that sleeve in the block for the feed?"

From what I know...the cannister filter shown is NOT the partial flow filter, though it looks much the same. Different can, different cartridge. I may have some cataloging with pics in postwar civilain parts book.
Line dimension was approximately toodamnsmall...they used the normal sized ports, 1/4 pipe I think, with appropriate lines for that, and these at least look small enough to scare me...though since the engines were being built for desert warfare, they must have worked fine!
If you scrutinize that picture, you can see how the blocking off was done with a sleeve made as part of the fitting. The engines were drilled with three instead of two oil ports, with that extra available for the conversion. USA engines from WWII on had the boss for the extra hole. (Odd footnote...if you study the pictures in your Ford USA "Repair manual Ford and Mercury V8 engines 1937-48", you will see in one of the photos that the block pictured is a WWII 29A with 3 large non-standard fittings protruding from its bellhousing...presumably an engine headed for life in an artillery tractor or Bren carrier!)
Someone in Canada was mentioned as supplying a repro of the special fitting on the old Fordbarn...does anyone have that info??
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote