Thread: Shop heater
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #29
Craig Lewis

Default Re: Shop heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-head View Post
Same thing here in our shop, the stove is going right now and I can hear the clock ticking in the background.

We use 4-5 cords of wood to heat a 30'X40' shop with 10' ceilings and keep it very comfortable. We buy our wood at a cost of $700 a year but it would cost us double that or more plus the cost of the electricity and maintenance.

The main reason we do it though is we really like it and also heat our house w/a wood stove.

The photo shows the back of the shop where the office is. What you cannot see is the platform the stove is raised up on that I mentioned in the earlier post.

The little room behind the stove with the Elm Garage sign on it holds our big noisy 50 year old 5 hp air compressor. It has a thermostat and a fan that starts up when it gets hot in there and keeps it cool. Before we had to shut the compressor off to use the phone or to talk and had to turn off the furnace to be able to hear who ever was on the phone.

The second photo shows some of our machinery on the other side of the back of the room.
WOW....what a cozy tidy looking shop T-head.
Makes me feel guilty about all the junk piled up in mine.
I can almost feel the heat off that woodstove!

A woodstove does provide the best feeling heat in my opinion...and not as dangerous as some might think given some common sense.
(even though common sense maybe ain't so common)

The body shop I worked at through the 90's used a woodstove. It was a heavy barrel on it's side with a steel door.
Our spray booth, paint and solvents were at the far end. We frequently laid fresh primered parts and motorcycle tanks against the stove to bake. Alot of things you don't want to hear about went through that stove and we never had a problem except for the extraordinary amount of time it consumed to keep it stoked while trying to make a day's pay.
Funny thing...I talked with my old partner today and he still runs it in the shop, although he says the latest insurance lookie-lou was somewhat dissenchanted last week and it might have to go....
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote