View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Still More Carburetor Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
I am having a lot of difficulty seting the float. No matter what the carb overflows. I have removed the bowl with the carb on the car, turned on the fuel with my thumb pushing the needle into the seat and the fuel stops. I have checked the float for leaks and it checks ok. I believe that I am not setting it corectly. Does anyone have the correct measurement for float height on a Tillotson F-1B??? The book I am referencing is not very detailed when it comes to float setting.

Thanks in advance,
Angelo
I would remove the needle valve and seat. I would then put some tooth paste inside the seat and work the needle back and fourth. This will allow the fine abrasive action of the tooth paste to smooth any rough spots on the needle and seat that may be causeing problems. Clean off all traces of tooth paste and now will be a good time to clean and blow out the jets and passages. I use the carburetor cleaner that WalMart sells in spray cans and then blow out with compressed air. I would remove and clean out the filter screen that attaches in the front of the carburetor. I would turn the top of the carb upside down in my hand and observe the position of the float. I never measure but just set be eye. The float will probably have a seam where it is put together, I usually sight off the seam and adjust the float so that the float is almost level. It is usually best to adjust the float just a very small amount lower than level towards the bottom. this will allow the needle valve to cut off the gas flow just before the float is level and keep the fuel level from rising TOO high in the bowl of the carb. The best way to adjust the float is to add or subtract washer-gaskets under the seat, this will raise or lower the float without haveing to bend the float hinge.

As far as I know there is NO parts produced for the F-1B carb. Some Zenith parts can be used such as the float , GAV assy, and with a little modification, the gaskets. I'm not sure about the needle valve assy. The F-1B looks very simillar to the Zenith but being as it is made of pot metal, there is a good chance that the flange will be warped where it meets the intake manifold. You can lay the flange on a flat surface and if there are any small gaps around the circumfrence of the flange this will indicate warpage. Any warpage in the flange wuill cause vacume leaks and VERY POOR performance. Usually the main problem with the F-1B carb. is that the small passages become blocked. I think that Mr Texas is probably the guy with more experience with these carbs. I saw where he posted here a couple of days ago on a thread about Tillotson carbs. If all else fails I would search and try to contact him for other pointers. I think he was offering to send out exploded diagrams an info on these carbs on the ford barn a couple of years ago. Good luck and keep us posted.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote