View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: '31 Murray Body Number Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bick in New Zealand View Post
Over the years there have been several featured in the 'Bustle' the Victoria Association Newsletter, all had the Canadian body and Top Corp. Body Tags on them including Body Number 1.
Recently there was a very complete unrestored one for sale on ebay. It was unique in that it still had the original leather upholstery offered by Ford Canada for an extra $18.
Photo courtesy "The Bustle" Editor Tom Endy and CMAFF.

A-8-2 in the 1932 Ford book by David Rehor shows two different 'Tilbury' tags used on the 1932 Canadian deluxe coupe bodies.
That tag is interesting! I had never zoomed in on the original pic to see what it said.

Although I can't recite specific details but I'm sure those that have researched the Canadian auto industry of the period know that Canada did control/limit imports. My best guess is that Canadian body and Top Corp was used as an intermediary beginning late 1930 or 1931 as a means to work around those issues and played a very limited roll in actual "construction" of the Murray bodies but their assigned body serial numbers was part of the process to make it "official".

I have about 150 photos of #488. I spent a bit of time studying them this morning. It surprised me based on this thread that there is not a single Robertson screw used in the assembly and trimming of the body including the dash rail. That indicates to me that the body was shipped from Murray completely painted (base color) and trimmed which was common practice here. Of course those items added on the assembly line such as instrument panel, floor boards, etc., were installed with Robertson screws.