View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Not so great sounding horn

A well oiled and adjusted horn should draw about 5 amps. Original headlights and tail light draw about 8 amps. Both are connectec to the output terminal of the cutout, so when the lights are on and you blow the horn some of the current comming from the battery will be less for the horn. The horn should still blow good though if it's working right and oiled. Since the model A didn't come with a voltage regulator you probably have the third brush set for about 5 amps, which I consider too much. When the lights are on you are supposed to remove the generator band and set the third brush up for more charge so you don't drain the battery. This will also make the horn blow better.

Since most people don't bother adjusting the third brush each time the lights are turned on or off, the best thing you can do is install an electronic voltage regulator. Then your horn should also blow better, because when the horn button is pushed, the generator output will increase to meet the added demand.

My generator with my EVR stays right near 0 on the amp guage. The only time it reads more amps is right after starting when it goes to about 6 to 8 amps for a minute or so then tapers down to about 0 to 1 amp again.

Having an EVR is good for the generator and battery life. It also lowers the pull on the belt and engine. I have an excercise bike with a Model A generator mounted with an EVR in it. When you turn on the fan, which draws 5 amps, you will realise how much extra pull the generator makes for the belt and engine when it's constantly putting out 5 amps. An EVR gets the charge back to near zero when the battery is charged and the extra power isn't needed.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote