View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Lamar Wadsworth

Default Re: 1937 Ford -- Heater -- Original factory option?

One thing about those S-W heaters, you didn't have to wait for them to warm up, you had instant heat on the coldest day. While they weren't exactly a Henry-approved accessory, a lot of them were sold and installed by Ford dealers, so you could argue that they were correct if new cars left Ford dealerships with them. For a driver, I'd just as soon have one of the dozens of brands of aftermarket accessory hot water heaters that were sold back in the day. Bear in mind that most optional equipment was dealer installed back then. Plenty of people bought one of the aftermarket heaters instead of buying a heater from the Ford dealer. The better ones had defroster connections, attractive housings, and doors/deflectors to aim the heat where you wanted it. The aftermarket heaters are designed to be a universal fit, they work well, and you can get one of the aftermarket heaters for much less than you'll pay for the correct Ford heater. I have a '30s vintage Hot Wave brand heater in my '38 pickup, looks nice, puts out plenty of heat.
Lamar Wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote