View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
36tbird

Default Re: exhaust port dividers

I put them in an 8BA I am currently running. I don't have any quantitative analysis, but they just make sense to me. I was trying to address the cooling issue more than performance. That is, keeping the hot exhaust gasses from sharing the common area.

Maybe it is just me, but the dividers from Speedway do not mount where the instructions lead you to believe that they mount. That is, they look like they are held in place by the center stud. That places them too low in the passage and would act as a mega restriction. It took a lot of grinding and shaping, but I placed the dividers well up in the cavity directly between the valves. I drilled a hole into that cavity via the water passage exposed with the head off. I tapped the divider and used a stainless steel button head bolt sealed with JB Weld to hold it in place, see picture. Admittedly, probably a lot of work for not much gain, but what the heck.

You have to use kind of a Zen approach when you do this like I did. Feeling around with them in place, it does feel like a nice "coke bottle" shaped area and I always heard that is a good design for evacuating gasses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg splitter.jpg (62.0 KB, 146 views)
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote