View Single Post
Old 03-11-2024, 09:28 PM   #7
Seabees

Default Re: '32 AAB progress report

Thanks guys, the 'ol heifer was in pretty sad shape. It was last driven in the '60's, then used as a trap wagon (notice the hitch on the front) for several years. It was WAY overloaded with a fuel tank, along with assorted wheat ranch tools. The transmission was about to come completely apart. The lower shaft was all but out of the case. If it had been pulled another 100' it would have destroyed it. As you can see from the picture of the engine, it had sat awhile. It had a Model A Tillitson carb on it, which I replaced with a Model B that I rebuilt. (thank you David Renner!) I believe the engine had been out of time for who knows how long, due to the front timing cover being a Model A engine timing cover. My good friend Jim Brierly gave me the correct B cover, and I was able to time it as it should be. I've learned a lot working on this rig, mostly that anything Ford built in '32 is VERY EXPENSIVE to find parts for!! Notice the pipe fastened to the rear main. I was told by someone, can't remember who, that these were installed to prevent oil from leaking out the rear main when the truck was lifted at the elevator to dump grain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4472.jpg (56.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2068.jpg (78.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2080.jpg (55.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2088.jpg (62.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2100.jpg (59.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2496.jpg (66.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2501.jpg (48.7 KB, 47 views)
Seabees is offline   Reply With Quote