View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 09:06 PM   #17
langus480

Default Re: Wire wheel balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
When I was in the military, we had the Marvel balancer equipment to perform static balance on rotors. In civilian practice, I just balance it with my trusty Chadwick Helmuth Vibrex kit with the Stobex to get the clock angle. Bell had a ball bearing balance set but it was a Pita to use. I would use it to do the initial track setting on the old Bell 47 machines that still had adjustable pitch links. Most are fixed now days.

On motrorcycle wheel assemblies, I use the same set up that I true the spoked rims with. If the wheel/tire assembly doesn't try to rotate in any clock angle setting then it's good to go. On car wheel assemblies, a person just needs an old bubble balancer to static balance. If it is properly static balance then it should run true in a computer balance machine unless the rim is bent. I used to use an old Micro like the one in this link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/19628052157...R_DmwPnKYwlike

Performed quite a bit of T&B with the Chadwick and also static balance with the Marvel. 27 yrs aviation has taught me to do things right the first time and not have to spend time fixing sloppy work...
langus480 is offline   Reply With Quote