View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
inex01

Default Does your car stall when you come to a stop ?

After I completely rebuilt my carb the car would stall almost every time I came to a stop and I took the carb off and adjusted the float so many times I can not even remember, also changed the float valve and made sure it was not burred, also replaced the idle jet, you name it I did it including purchasing a new intake and exhaust manifold and having both freshly machined to assure a good seal and no vacuum leaks.

Well I finally found the problem "At least with my car" When I would start the car cold I turned the GAV out about a full tun + or - and then when the engine started advanced the timing and then keeping the engine a about 600 RPM would adjust the GAV for a high idle then turn in about 1/8, well that was the problem..... The GAV was in too much and when I went to stop it would not fill up the secondary well fast enough. I now have the GAV set slightly less than a 1/4 turn out from the closed position. What a difference the car NEVER STALLS and runs smooth as silk now. When on the road I do lean the engine slightly and adjust the timing and last fill up I averaged about 18 MPG so looks like I have it set up pretty well and the car performs super . I hope this may help someone.