View Single Post
Old 08-28-2022, 06:44 PM   #3
37 Coupe

Default Re: crank gear oil slinger on a 292 Thunderbird engine.

Thanks Dennis. I wonder if this is a part that was not used until 1956 292 engines ? Reason I say this is my parts book dated November 1954 Form 7516 does not show this slinger in Thunderbird crankshaft exploded view.When I look on Ebay they show the slinger with a B6A prefix most parts in my 1955 book prefix with B5A so maybe the B6 means this part was introduced in 1956.Couple of my Ford repair manuals do not mention the slinger like the 1955 Ford repair manual. So now I wonder if the guy who put this on wrong had nothing to go by an just put the slinger behind like on Flathead Ford engines. I just hope it created no other damage other than to the slinger. I have been trying for three months now to figure this car out with no prior history to lean on. Car was bought from estate.Someone years ago put new plugs ,anitfreeze,oil and filter on this engine and never ran it long.I can tell because everything is clean as new,plugs are new but sooty. I think it started made noise with slinger being chewed up and guy shut it down and walked away from it like I hope I don't do,just wonder what else I will find,probably should pull the engine and go through it but thought I would go this way first,all started with misaligned crank pulley/balancer and then crank seal replace but lucky I guess pulling timing cover and seeing the slinger tore up beteween block and cranks gear. I do know this about previous owner,he was a Thunderbird/'55 Ford car restorer by trade in Ohio.