View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
blucar

Default Re: overdrive options for 1953 f100

I am not well versed on the actual mixing and matching of the later model (49-53) trans/OD gears, etc..
I can attest to the application of OD transmissions in F1/100 pickups.. My father purchased a new '52 Ford, V8 w/OD.. That was one neat truck.. He/we worked the truck pulling trailers up to 35' through the mountains of Idaho, and the Nevada deserts.. Never had a problem with it.. In '54 dad bought a new F-1, six with no OD, I hated that truck.
I have had a couple of F100's with V8-OD, the last one being a '59.. Never had a problem with the any of them.. The '59 F100 had a 3.89 rear end, where-as a normal ratio for a F100 was 3.71.. Generally speaking, a factory equipped OD will always have a low gear ratio.
My thinking is, why re-invent the wheel, when the factory engineers have already done that...
Of course if a person is so inclined to think automatic, in lieu of manual, then the way to go is to use a Ford C-4...
Which ever OD option is used, keep in mind that the rear axle will most likely have to be re-geared to a lower ratio in order for the vehicle to be operational on the highway in OD.. I know several people that have added OD's to their vehicle with no thought about the rear end ratio, my brother is one, he can't drive his '54 on the highway in OD unless he keeps the mph above 70...
The early Ford V8's, '35-48, are a whole different can of worms, the normal rear end ratio is generally 4.11, which works well with an OD..