View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #44
Kube

Default Re: Ideas for vibration problem in 59A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Good news! My mechanic garage seems to have turned into "Golden Rulers" meaning that they have decided to take full responsibility to get the engine running right no matter what it takes on their dime instead of mine. I imagine it's a hard pill to swallow but, if they thought about the tables being turned, I'm sure they would want the same as I expected.

Unfortunately, from their "research" and "talking to people" they have concluded that the vibration is coming totally from the Fort Wayne clutch I bought and gave them to put on. So, their plan is to remove the engine, put a different clutch on, and put the engine back in to see if that fixed it. I, of course, wondered why they just didn't check everything while they had the engine out - crank balance, flywheel and clutch balance, piston and rods balance. They are just so sure that it is just the clutch. "So, what if that one change doesn't get rid of the vibration? Then what?" I ask. "Well, we'll just have to take the engine out again and try something else." Oh boy. Oh well, as long as it's on their dime I guess if they want to take it out, change the paint color, and put it back in to see if that fixes it, fine by me. At least they are taking full responsibility to get it right and satisfy me as their new customer. That's a relief and take a load off me.
The possibility, albeit a long shot, I suppose does exist that the vibration is the clutch. If it is, good for you and good for them. Me? I would not get my hopes placed too high on their diagnosis.
They have already proven to be well, less than proper mechanics / machinists.
Best of luck...