View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Dave in MN

Default Re: Old husband's tales

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I wouldn't say what I did was ingenious but read on....years back; I had just purchased my first Model A, a Closed Cab pickup. It was beat up and in need of major work but I got it running...kinda! I took my boys ages 8 and 4, three of their friends and my wife for their first ride out to the end of the gravel road. The kids were piled in the back with our English Springer. My wife was in the cab with me. We were only going out to the end of the gravel road as we did not want to be in traffic with the kids in back. We were on the way back when it started backfiring and died about 1/3 mile from my garage. What to do? My wife was raised in the city...no chance she could safely pull me back with another vehicle. So I did the only thing I could do… I jumped out and pretended to sound excited about the opportunity to push it back. I convinced them all that it would be fun. I steered with an arm through the driver’s window while pushing. My wife and the five kids were pushing at the rear. The Springer was reaching over the tailgate and caught my wife right across the lips with a sloppy lick eliciting a scream of surprise. I think that was the first time I had seen my wife spit and she did so multilpe times. She didn’t think it was funny but I couldn’t help it...How do you not laugh when that happens? I got everyone back on task when my oldest son voiced the first complaint and the rest of them soon joined in. It was nonstop...even my wife voiced a few. With all the whining it seemed like a much greater distance than 1/3 mile. It took 3 years to restore the pickup and another two years to eliminate the skeptical looks I got from them when I asked if they wanted to go for a ride.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote