View Single Post
Old 07-12-2022, 10:45 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Full Effort Flathead (Keith Dorton Build)

The video and associated build is very interesting - and a lot of the work and the associated custom parts are quite impressive (and costly). I can see modern build techniques all over it - dry sump, vacuum pump, belt-drive, needle bearings on the CAM, etc..

From my experience, I can't imagine the amount of money that was spent getting to that 247 HP number. A lot of high-end type work and extremely high-dollar custom components . . . though the final HP number does not justify it in my mind.

The top-end is what is preventing a higher horsepower number - as the ports are actually quite small (porting was quite conservative in my mind) and the intakes are not big enough. It won't flow enough to make the HP it should.

But, we also need to consider that it may make more HP than they are showing - at higher RPMs. Lots of folks really don't share their true dyno numbers (usually because they are not as impressive as they claim - but maybe not in this case). So who knows the final truth.

Also, why all the work to setup the two 4-barrels and the tunnel ram - when a mechanical 'Hilborn Style' injector would probably have delivered the same or more HP at a much better cost.

Anyway, I hate to be such a critic of a really cool and documented/shared build, but if I was the customer, I'd be looking for the HP to be a lot more than 247. I know . . . easy to say from my chair and my computer screen.

Lastly, I wish them well at Bonneville and I hope they are able to set a record - given the MPH mentioned, should not be that difficult and they deserve some success after all the $$$ and time spent on this build.

Okay - back to my normal day . . . LOL

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 07-12-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote