View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 11:08 PM   #14
SoCalCoupe

Default Re: Hard hot Start Problem (common)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishsteel View Post
Had same trouble on my '36 with Optima battery. Bigger cables and battery as close to the starter as I could get--problem solved.

That's encouraging; sounds simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Frankly unless the braided + cable is new I would ditch it. I've encountered more than one old Ford with the same hot start problem and it turned out to be the braided cable. It gets corrosion on it easily, especially if you live near salt air from the ocean.

The braided cable seems relatively new but I'm not averse to replacing it.

I'll look on the lug of the cloth covered cable tomorrow to see if there's a size. Think I'll replace the braided ground and the 2 ga cable to the solenoid. Replacing the cloth covered cable will get me a little further away from original but there are already quite a few non-original parts so this won't ruin my fun, especially if it works!

I see on ebay that you can buy 00 cables of any length, red or black. Any particular recommendations? 00 cloth covered cables available? I'd like to look period correct but am not a slave to it; they're just battery cables. I've already made some other period correct (late 40's, early 50's) mods.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote