View Single Post
Old 03-16-2024, 09:51 PM   #14
eagle

Default Re: Spark lever position at idle and temperature sensitivity

I have a Fordor, completely stock with Zenith and stock head. Here's how I run mine: Advance the timing lever so when pulling a hill, you hear it just start to ping. Retard it a click or two until it doesn't ping anymore. Remember that position. As soon as you start the car pull the lever down to that position and leave it there. Set the idle speed so when the throttle lever is all the way up, the car is running as slow as it will run without dieing. Then when running the car you have control of the idle speed via the hand throttle. I keep my idle very slow, it makes all shifting much easier. After the car is warmed up, set the GAV for smoothest idle, then for cruising close it a bit until you feel it leaning out too much then open just a touch. When you are back in town or slowing down to turn/shift, open the GAV again to the position you set it for idling. The "classic" Putt Putt of a retarded engine is OK, but serves no purpose except for listening enjoyment. I never run mine on a regular basis with the timing retarded. As far as missing and idle changes at different temps, my car does not do that. I'd try swapping out the carb with a known good one, also check for warped pot metal carb body and poor gasket between carb and intake.

Last edited by eagle; 03-17-2024 at 09:02 AM.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote