View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Big_Guys_baby

Default Re: Generator Troubleshooting

Brian, thanks for the link to the post....

Update: I took off the generator and sanded off all the paint on the back side of the generator as well as cleaned off the paint on the front of the intake manifold. Reinstalled generator, made sure belts were nice and tight. Made sure connections were nice and tight and repolarized via earlier suggestions.

The car fired right up and appeared to be charging when I revved her up past idle speed. I took a voltage reading at the Battery side of the Voltage regulator and I am now concerned that she is over-charging. She showed 9-11 volts when I sped up the engine! My ford book says that that it should be between 7.1 and 7.4... I didn't get a chance to test the cut-in and cut out voltage yet.

The big issue is that car isn't quite road worthy yet (but she is getting close) so I am starting her up, idling, driving on my street only and back into garage to get the bugs worked out. This i think is being hard on my battery and I am starting to have some major hot-start issues that I think are electrical and battery related. She won't restart when hot, but 10 -15 minutes on the battery charger and she will fire right up.

Also possibly related is that once the engine warms up (she runs between 160-170 faithfully) she has a "miss" when I mash down the throttle. When it is cold started the engine revs beautifully and has great oil pressure, comes up to temp good, etc... Once the engine got hot just recently, when I mash the pedal down the engine sputters and won't rev up. I can't tell if this is an ignition miss or if she is fuel starved...

Ahh, I love these cars... The good news is that steady and excellent progress is being made on her and I expect her to be road worthy come spring if not sooner!
Big_Guys_baby is offline   Reply With Quote