View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #18
modeleh

Default Re: I've just got to share this!!!

Great story Brent. I know how you feel. The grade 3 teacher I had back in 1983 would take her students on a field trip once a year to her home where she and her husband had a private collection of antique cars, railroad, and logging artifacts. Her husband would give each kid a ride in an old car, usually one of their Model Ts. My older sister and brother who were in her class in years previous to me got a ride on a Climax steam locomotive which rode on a wooden plank railway. By the time I was in grade 3, the boiler in the locie needed retubing, so I never got to ride on it.
About 25 years later, I had become caretaker of my grandpa's 30 A roadster, so one day I stopped by their place and introduced myself. She remembered me and my siblings from years gone by, and I told them how much their field trips to their home had meant to me. (She actually taught me grade 3&4 so I got to go twice). The best part is, I was able to volunteer some labour to help them complete the restoration of one of their early cars for it's centennial. Since then, we have become very good friends and we spend alot of time together playing with old cars.
Hooray for grade 3!
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote