View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Complete rebuild needed?

Any engine hoist that is used to pull v8 engines would work. A hoist plate for the block is nice (I use one) but not needed. A couple of bolts and short pieces of chain will work. To be safe, I would use four blots with two separate short lengths of chain. Use a washer on the head of the bolts to assure it will not pull through the bolts. A lot depends on how you are pulling it, such as with a lot of accessories attached or not and if just the block or the whole engine and transmission as a unit. I like to strip the engines as much as possible and pull what would amount to a short block.

You need a stud puller to remove the studs and it can be a real job on some engines. It is very common to snap off studs when pulling them. There are a lot of methods to aid in stud removal, soaking them in penetrating oil, heating them, etc. broken studs can be removed by welding a nut to the remaining piece in the block and then removing it. There are a lot of threads on stud removal with tips on getting them out, but again, often a very difficult task.

All the normal venders carry parts, need to check with the machine shop you will be using first for several reasons. For one, some shops will only work on engines if they are allowed to supply the part. Secondly don't get to far into this project without having the block tested for cracks, mag'ed and pressure tested. If your shop will allow you to purchase your own parts then need to be sure they are the correct ones for the finished product are any required machine work. Oil pump parts and/or pumps are available.

Edit: Just reread where you have access to a machine shop, as in engine type of machine shop? Does it have the capability to turn cranks, bore cylinders, that type of machine shop? If so, ordering your own parts should not be an issue!!!

Any engine stand will work, it is best to have one that is wide enough at the base that it will not tip easily. A four wheel one is better than a three wheel one. I would not mount an early flathead from the bell-housing flange (some people do). It is my belief that it is much better and safer to mount the block by the exhaust holes on the side of the block. There are several suppliers of these mounts, or they are easily fab'ed.

Last edited by JSeery; 10-27-2014 at 02:15 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote