View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
montanafordman

Default Re: float crushed from altitude change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I use to work for an Air Cargo Airline that flew unpressurized aircraft. Potato chip bags would explode at around 10,000 ft.
I fly unpressurized cargo airplanes (single pilot) and often will leave my lunch in the seat next to me. I climb from sea level to 12,000 daily to cross the cascade mountain range and once in a while my bag of chips will pop and gives me a good startle! Big bangs are never good but no changes with the gauges, then I'll glance over and notice my lays chips are deflated (the bag blows up like a balloon in the climb). That's usually about time to level off and then its snack time.

I suppose its possible for a float to be damaged from such a pressure change but I think its HIGHLY unlikely. I would assume floats are usually manufactured and sealed closer to sea level anyway. Denver is at 5,500ft (roughly) and the float would have to be resoldered at that altitude to have a lower pressure inside the float than your altitude (closer to sea level) for a crushing force and it wouldn't be much. Potentially enough to make the thin brass "oil can" slightly inward but I think the structural shape and strength would prevent that. Most packages are shipped in pressurized airplanes and the cabin and cargo pressure never goes above roughly an 8,000ft equivalent and the pressure controller changes inside cargo / cabin pressure much more gradually than what I often experience in my unpressurized airplane.