View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
VeryTangled

Smile Re: Best speedometer cable lube.

Hey Prof. Henry, Nice to be able to add to one of you threads again. Been following your posts and they always, well usually, make me smile! Recent pictures of your friends and family have been very touching. Give those ladies a gentle hug from me!

I've had to pull and lube our cable more than a couple of times so I'd like to hear of a good solution. For a few hundred miles touring PA last year I just ran with it pulled out because I was troubleshooting a chirp and wanted to eliminate the spedo cable as a cause. I had the GPS for speed, but it irritated me that I wasn't turning the odometer.

I've sometimes wondered if adding 'graphite power lubricant' to the graphite oil would be a silly thing to try? I've never done this. I searched for it and found several products, add the 'lubricant' or else you'll find some art supplies.

I remember decades ago having a tube of that stuff that I could puff into a door lock and it did the trick... for as long as that car lasted.

I like the graphite idea, but the oils I've seen don't seem to have a lot of graphite suspended in them. If one added some powder to the oil, would it work better? I'd hope the oil would carry some powder, and when the oil sorta wears out or drains down, some power is still helpful.

Just spitballing here. Probably several simple reasons why it will never work will be revealed in the next three posts.

-VT/JeffH

Last edited by VeryTangled; 05-30-2014 at 07:50 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote