View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 10:48 PM   #9
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Fuel Injection computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
I tried this one on my 41 flathead: http://fitechefi.com/products/30003/ Didn't work because I think the hp was too low. Not much support from the company either. Works great for modern v8s however. They have since come out with a 2 barrel version.

This unit looks just like a carburetor and has a built in computer and some sensors. Very few wires to clutter up the engine bay. Only wires are O2 sensor, water temperature sensor, ignition and un-plugable hand held small control screen. Does not control the distributor.

I also have an older more stock GM style throttle body setup with a maize of wires and a large ECU computer that has to be mounted somewhere. This one did control the distributor.
One problem I see with this system is the use of 62 lb. injectors. To get the right mixture at low speeds and throttle openings, the injectors have to open and close too quickly for accurate fuel control. smaller injectors require a longer 'on' time so are easier for the ECM to control. Four 62 lb. injectors add up to 248 lbs. of fuel per hour. An '80's-'90's 5.0 Mustang had eight 19 lb. per hour injectors for a total of 152. These engines were rated at 225 HP., and those injectors could handle more.
Another problem is the system is out-dated. Speed-density systems with throttle body injection have been replaced with mass air flow systems with port injection for better control.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote