View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
deucemac

Default Re: Ammeter vs Voltmeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Go with a voltmeter. Shows what the alternator is doing as far as ooutput.

No manufacturer uses amp gauges anymore, there must be a reason, besides having the car go up in smoke.

Simple wiring. Connect hot to any 12V source that turns off when the key goes off (Ignition switch -accessory), and a ground.
The reaso0n that manufacturers don't use an ammeter any more is cost. A voltmeter is cheap and very easy to install requiring only a switched B+ connection and a solid ground. The bad part is that the voltmeter shows only system voltage and not a charge rate. If the voltmeter reads 13.9V is it system voltage or is it using only the battery? I have heard all the horror stories of someone running an ammeter and it burned up destroying the car and such. I've been in the business 48 years and NEVER saw an ammeter do anything of the sort. When they quit, they fail to an open circuit and no current flows. BUT, the ammeter must be matched to the charging ability of the system. A 30 amp unit is useless on a system with a 100 amp alternator and will cook itself if overloaded. High reading ammeters are available but NOT cheap and that's why OEMS use voltmeters. I'm currently using ammeters on my '32 roadster, '68 El Camino, and my next ride toy. All are matched to system output and will last after I'm pushing up daisies.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote