View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Reproduction Distributor - a problem found

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Dyck View Post
It's new, so it's gotta be right! Bah! Humbug! Had this problem with repro kingpin sets: undersized, and/or tapered kingpins. My supplier told me that I was the first to complain. He was good, and went into his stockroom and sent me correct dimension kingpins. Then all went well with that job.
Many times the well used component is better than the new repro.
Problem with many in this day and age is people are impatient, won't devote the necessary time and effort to teach themselves how to used a test light or DVOM to diagnose basic automotive electrical problems.
AMEN! to your last paragraph, Van, some are just LAZY! Shucks, they could get on the Internet or their I------Something?? phone & find basic 101's on DVOM's or the lowly test lite.That, along with Basic car electrical 101, they could diagnose & repair most any electrical on a Model A! Buster T. just said that they ONLY have 9 wires!
It's fun to make up "special" test lights, like if you wanted to add some load, take a stoplight bulb, solder the 2 contacts together along with a wire. Solder another wire to the side for a ground, & VOILL'E, you have a test light with a built in load, probably 10 or 12 AMPS.
If you're scary, make up test jumpers with a fuse or circuit breaker in it so's you don't accidentally burn up a circuit or wire. Make another with a cheap buzzer for continuity testing, etc. I had one with a smoke alarm buzzer in it---could HEAR it a block away. Electrical is FUN when you learn to "OUT-FOX" something you can't smell, see, feel, taste, or touch! Chief put great HUMOR into car diagnosis & how systems, like those "Little Men" that ran inside the wires & made stuff "happen" Bill W.