View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Rich/Alabama

Default Re: Mallory tech answer to coil/ballast ?

Tom/Bubbas,
Don't want to hijack your thread but this is the info I was looking for so if you don't mind I'd like to pursue it a little further. I have a Mallory unilite on my motor also, the only difference being I recently replaced my dual Strombergs with a Holley 390 carb. I have the 29216 coil with ballast on it now and have been running it this way for a long time, no problems, but was thinking I would change to the 29219 coil and eliminate the ballast. Mallory says the 29216 has .700 ohms primary, secondary 8.9K ohms and puts out 51K volts: the 29219 coil has 1.4 ohms primary, 10K secondary and puts out 58K volts. I'm using the Mallory supplied ballast but don't know the specs, have to ASSUME it's ~.7 ohms or they wouldn't have sold it to me (hah!). That means to me either coil will end up with the same resistance, just higher voltage output with the 29219. Doesn't that mean a hotter spark? It seems simpler to just have to 12 volt power straight to the coil without the resistor and let the coil do the work vs. the resistor. My 29216 coil/ballast are 10 years old and I'm thinking I need to replace them anyway when I re-wire the car soon so this is the time to get to the bottom of this. Thanks,

Rich
Rich/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote