View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Benson

Default Re: Model B adjustable Lifters ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
Benson your probably on to something there as the B engines used on pumps and for other industrial purposes in England had the exhaust valves set at 18 thou instead of 22. I don't know if that was the same in the USA .I guess they thought that they would just be run at idle speed. I know some one who put one of these engines in his sedan , it would idle real good perfect but when out on the road no guts at all !!! When he opened those exhaust valves up it ran fine
John
Yes I had a similar problem. In Feb 1969 I bought one the first VW Type 3 Fastbacks with Electronic Fuel Injection. Because it was air cooled the valves were adjusted every 3000 miles. I was towing a trailer with 2 dirt bikes up a long 8% grade west of town every weekend.

The engine would lose power when it got hot from pulling the grade at 60 MPH in third gear, just like you discribed in your post. Factory clearance was .004 on I and E. I adjusted Exhaust valves at .006 and problem went away. I told my friend who owned a VW dealership about what I had found.

Six months later the factory issued a Service bulletin to adjust at .006! ... I guess the factory guys liked the idea!

I hope it works out for you!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote