Thread: Backfire
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #16
fashion frank

Default Re: Backfire

I am having the same problem but my 31 just died after the backfire.
Here's what happned .
I just bought the car ,it is ( or was) turn key ready.
Brought it back from PA, drove it around the hood twice with no problems.
I know how to drive a standard but got my model a start up and shifting education from youtube .

Now the last time I took it out again, very close to home just to get the oil hot enough to dump, I noticed it was almost stalling every time I came to a stop .
So I pulled off the main drag , adjusted the choke /carb jetting knob a bit to try to get it to run leaner or as I hoped to stop it from hesitating at a stop.

Well that was a mistake because I then pulled back out onto the main drag and went about ten feet ,it backfired ,drove " rough" for about another ten feet and then died.
I managed to pull into a side street and had to have it towed the two blocks from my house.
Before I had it towed ,I tried to restart it , it would just crank ,but not turn over and there seems to be a smell of gas so I checked and there was in fact a good amount of excess gas , I assumed that I flooded it ,so I waited a while tried it again and had no luck.
A few days later I went out to the garage and tried again but same thing cranking but no turning over,I made sure the choke/jetting knob was "turned " all the way down , still no go.
I have since ordered a set of points and condenser that are on their way.
This Sunday is my first Model a club meeting and I am hoping someone will help me out and get it running again.
I am sure it must be something small as it was running like a sewing machine before this happned.
Does anyone here have any idea what might have happned and or what might be the problem ?
Thanks in advance ,Frank

P.S. I also changed the plugs figuring they were fouled and they were in fact black with soot but still no go and now no matter were I "set" the choke jetting knob still nothing.

Last edited by fashion frank; 09-17-2014 at 05:26 PM.
fashion frank is offline   Reply With Quote