View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: New Battery Maintainers - Desulfation Mode

Hi AlanD,

After reading a few internet "expert" comments on battery desulfation, (and even some highly technical pro & con comments on using Epson Salts), it leaves one wondering.

Anyway, the answer to your specific reply #3 question is no; not since this battery came up to over 6V a few days ago.

This battery was a bit sluggish a few years back, (probably while sitting idle while Model A restoration was being conducted), so I set it aside unattended & just got a new battery that is now in my Town Sedan -- then according to the voltmeter, looks like this set aside came back to life.

Years ago in the 1950's I used to hear barroom comments about battery desulfation "shock" treatments .... I guess similar to brain shock treatments for mental patients used extensively back then.

But then some proclaimed the high voltage shocks on batteries could twist or bend the lead plates & make them touch one another thus ruining a battery -- have no idea if the people reporting same had received brain shock treatments or not -- this was in the days when people sat next to a radio instead of a TV & put hog lard on toast bread in lieu of hydrogenated margarine ............... which incidentally "today", is supposed to cause high chlolesterol & guarantee a one way trip in a hearse -- don't even mention eggs -- one day good, next day bad.

Something tells me if you have the ability to build a battery desulfater, you will experiment & be able to shed meaningful light for all of us on this controversial battery maintainer desulfation subject.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 03-31-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote