View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
L78CHEVELLE

Default Re: Bias ply tires vs steel belted radials after 6 yrs

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
But, if you keep tires out of the sunlight they will last a little longer, right? Cars that are always garaged don't have the same problem.

And, you guys that live in Arizona, So. Cal., Texas, Florida suffer from this a lot more than guys that live up north. The sun destroys everything on a car that is petro based,,,weatherstripping, interior trim, etc.
The point I'm asking about is not the sun dry rot, or the number of miles, or what part of the country the tires are used in, but my experience is if you have a steel belted radial tire that has never been on the road after about 6 years the steel belts are weak from rust because of their age. Never had a flat on any of my trucks with tires 5 years or newer. My local tire dealer will even give me a trade in on tires that are less than 5 years old when I match up tires on something I buy. My dealer has also sold me tires at big discounts that have been in stock over one year. I wonder if the steel belted radials on flathead Fords are safe after 6 years no matter how they are used compared to bias ply tires without steel belts? Something to think about before you buy radials or if you are driving your valued Ford on steel belted radial tires that are over 6 years old.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote