View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
jxnslotcar

Thumbs up "New" project in my shop

1st of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Jim Corcoran and I have a shop called JB Customs of Jackson where we do regular automotive service and classics as well. I have been a member her for awhile and have read a lot of threads. I thought it was time I spoke up. I work on all types of cars and trucks but love the older classics the most. I have several myself all of which are projects which get worked on when I have the extra time and money to get the parts they might need.
I have the honor of having a 1931 Model A Pickup in my shop to have the rest of it put together and get it running and driving again. Basically I have to order about $2000 of parts from Mac's and just bolt it together. The older gentleman who owns it has no idea that this is being done. He is in the process of moving from his home into a Condo that is close to his son. He thinks that the truck is being sold to another family member.
His son and the family member got with me and want me to put it together so his dad will be able to drive the truck after it has sat for at least a decade. The engine was rebuilt after the timing gear had broke. The dad worked on doing other things to it and then has gotten to the point where he couldn't work on it. So this is a surprise for him. He will be able to drive it again.
He has owned it for over 30 years and before he got it the previous owner had painted it a dark blue metallic. The paint has held up well but definitely showing its age along with being the wrong color. I was asked yesterday if I would be interested in painting it back to the original color besides doing the rest of the work. I am thinking that I will need to blow apart the truck again to do it correctly. I am trying to figure out the original paint color from what is left on the firewall. It looks like it might be Medium Brewster Green but not sure yet. I may have to post a picture of the firewall and see if possibly someone might be able to let me know for sure.
I was thinking that if we do this project that I might do a thread on what we are doing along with pictures. I would like to do this right and correct as we can. The other thing is we need to get this done in time for him to drive it this Summer or Fall. At the same time I feel that it is truly a honor to be able to do this work on this piece of history.
Today is the 1st day of Summer so we do not have a lot of time. It will not be a "show" truck but a driver. Would anyone like to see a build thread?
This is the oldest vehicle we will have done to date. And the deepest we will have gone into a vehicle for a customer. I have done quite a few for myself which usually get sold off. The latest one is a 1962 F100 Unibody that I was going to use for a shop truck but then a buddy of mine really wanted it so I made him a deal on it. I have to keep the doors open but at the same time I do this because I am "Car Crazy" as I have heard Mr Meguiar say.
It is great having a resource like this to be able to reference to and learn from. I have worked on vehicles for the last 40 years but I am in no way a person who knows it all and actually enjoy learning new things every day. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by jxnslotcar; 06-21-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: introduction
jxnslotcar is offline   Reply With Quote