View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
midgetracer

Default Re: ever wanted to choke a body man?

I have worked with three body men on antique cars. The work is damn hard. If it was easy I would do it myself. Giving a quote of how many hours it takes is hard because straightening and repairing 80+ year old metal is very hard. Materials are out of this world high and the shop costs are high for heat and lights etc. My last gallon of paint was $800 and I am unwilling to practice with that kind of supplies. Every week I get a total of the hours spent and supplies used and pay the bill. I have never gotten sideways with any of these gentlemen and the jobs are flawless. I have never asked for an estimate because it is so hard to get an accurate estimate of the time it takes to redo 80 years of stress. When a shop fixes your modern car replacement parts are readily available and for the most part they bolt right on. There is a computer full of flat rate time available for this service. If body men are such crooks, tell me why it is so hard to find one to work on your deformed 80 year old classic. Too often an estimate is given as 2-3 thousand dollars and the customer thinks $2000 and maybe he will get it done for $1500 and the body man thinks $3000 and it may be a bit more due to hidden problems. There is a recipe for failure. Also, no one wants quick and dirty except for the price. We expect perfection, but only want a low price. IMHO respect your body man. He is a fading resource and if you tried to do what he does, you would find a different occupation soon. As for me I appreciate those that have done body work for me and I tell them so.
Sorry if I have offended anyone, I hate body work and respect the professionals that can make a POS into a show quality fender.