View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Ron in Quincy

Smile Re: Thermostat data, not opinions

My great uncle purchased his new 29 AA from the Ford Dealer in Stockton, Ca. just prior to harvest time. He told me that when idleing the truck in the field it would get hot and boil over. He said he started experimiting with the water pump impellers as he felt it was pumping the water too fast into the upper tank. He said he found with a 3/16" hole drilled in each impeller it stopped boiling over when idling in the field.

With each and ever A I have owned or restored since 1962, I have, when rebuilding the water pump, drilled a 3/16" hole in each impeller. I fill my radiator, either 28-29 or 30-31, just to the bottom of the baffel, allowing room for expansion. I, myself have never used a thermostat and respect those who choose to use one. I've had a number of radiators recored and always insisted on a heavy duty core ( 10 fins to the inch). Never wanted to ruin a new rebuilt engine trying to use an old original radiator; some old radiators will flow fine but if the fins are loose on the tubes its not going to cool properly.
Another advantage to slowing down the volume water into the upper tank is to reduce the chance of cavation in the engine block.

This is how I feel and what I've done over the years; I'm sure some of you will disagree with me and you certainly have a right to your opinion.

Ron

Last edited by Ron in Quincy; 08-03-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote